The first meeting with a mediator, otherwise known as a MIAM, provides you with the opportunity to find out how mediation works with a qualified family mediator. In brief, you will discuss:
- What mediation is, and how it works
- Whether mediation or another form of family dispute resolution is right for you and your family. Other forms include solicitor negotiation, collaborative law, arbitration and court.
- Whether you deem the mediator that you are meeting to be trustworthy and are capable of handling your case
- The benefits of mediation and other forms of family dispute resolution
- How many sessions you may need
- The likely costs of using mediation
- Assess whether you are eligible for free mediation via legal aid.
- Further details on this are on our MIAM page here.