Direct Mediation Services

How can I locate my child within the UK? – C4 Form

Do you think you might be entitled for Legal AID?

Losing a child, for example at the supermarket or park, is a nightmare for any parent or guardian. While these anxiety-inducing moments are often over as quickly as they come, the fear is always there that the situation could prove more serious.

For those undergoing a separation or divorce, particularly one that is not happening as amicably as they would have hoped, this nightmare can become a reality. Deciding custody arrangements for a child you both love when your love has gone sour can prove extremely difficult and, in rare cases, someone could decide to take the nuclear option: hiding the child away.

According to charity Missing People, around 70,000 children are reported missing in the UK each year, often because they have run away from home or somehow come to harm. However, children who have been secreted away during an acrimonious separation might not really be “missing” in a literal sense; after all, someone knows where they are.

Thankfully, what many people may not realise is that the UK’s justice system can help you if this horrible scenario comes to pass. If your child disappears in the middle of finalising your child arrangements, there are steps you can take to ensure they are found.

The family courts have the power to issue a court order, legally forcing someone to disclose the whereabouts of a child, under the 1986 Family Act. The person in question would be forced to reveal everything they know about the child’s location to the court. It’s not necessary for the child’s biological parent to make the request for such an order, done by filling out a C4 form, since anyone with a legitimate interest in the proceedings is entitled to apply.

In some cases, the order might not request information from an individual, since it can also be made to authorities like the Department of Work and Pensions or HMRC. Government bodies like this might be able to disclose information about someone’s phone calls or the locations where their phone has been used, which could be vital in finding a child that has been hidden away.

Refusing to provide information requested by court order is a serious offence, called contempt of court, which may be punished with a large fine or even a jail sentence. However, the person or authority that receives the order is given seven days to apply to the court if they believe there is a valid reason to have the order changed, or even waived entirely.

Once the information is provided, it will be given solely to the court, who will decide what to do with it next. While a judge or magistrate may decide to reveal the child’s whereabouts to other parties in the case, there are situations where it might decline to do so.

For example, if the child is staying with a parent at a refuge for victims of domestic abuse, then revealing their location could endanger everyone staying at that refuge. In cases like this, the court may instead only seek confirmation that the child is safe.

The C100 and C4 forms are closely linked as they both pertain to legal matters concerning children. While the C100 form focuses on applications for various child-related orders, the C4 form specifically addresses the need to obtain information about a child’s whereabouts.

The C100 form serves as a comprehensive application used in family law proceedings. It covers a wide range of matters, including child arrangements, parental responsibility, specific issues, and prohibited steps. This form is typically completed when a person wishes to make an application to the court for a child-related order or seek a variation or discharge of an existing order.

On the other hand, the C4 form has a more targeted purpose. It specifically enables individuals involved in legal proceedings to request the court’s intervention in compelling someone to provide information about the location of a child. This form is particularly useful in cases where the child’s whereabouts are unknown or deliberately withheld, causing concern or hindering the progress of legal proceedings.

The link between the C100 and C4 forms becomes evident when a person filling out the C100 form realizes the necessity of obtaining information about the child’s whereabouts. In such cases, the person may also need to complete the C4 form to formally request the court’s assistance in obtaining the required information.

It is important to understand the interplay between these forms and consult with legal professionals or seek appropriate guidance to ensure their correct and timely submission. By utilizing these forms effectively, individuals can navigate the legal process more efficiently and address child-related matters with the necessary support and legal recourse.

Family mediation can be a helpful alternative to court proceedings in resolving disputes related to children. However, in cases where mediation fails to yield satisfactory results or there are concerns about a child’s location, the C4 form can be used to request the court’s intervention in obtaining relevant information.

If you need any support on Family Mediation matters feel free to contact our team on 0113 468 9593.

By completing this form you consent to Direct Mediation Services holding the information you provide us about you in accordance with our Privacy notice. By submitting your email address and telephone number to us you consent to us contacting you in order to enable us to deal with your query. Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.